Tuesday, July 21, 2009

Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Muffins

These muffins were the highlight of our afternoon! They have a very, very moist, dense texture. I used cinnamon roll flavored oatmeal, so I'm sure that played a big part in their deliciousness. You could use whatever flavor you like, or plain (if using plain, I'd probably use a little cinnamon or other flavoring to give it a bit of a boost).


As you can see, the chocolate chips sank to the bottom, which didn't stop them from tasting great, but probably could have been avoided by dredging them in a little flour before adding them to the batter. Speaking of which, I think the original recipe calls for raisins instead of chocolate chips. I personally think they would taste great, but I don't think the Bass would eat them with raisins.


They didn't rise much, so go ahead and fill the muffin tins right to the top. This recipe should make you 12-14 muffins when filled to the top.


Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Muffins
1 1/2 cup instant oatmeal (three packets)
1 1/4 cup milk
1 egg
1/2 cup applesauce
3/4 cup* brown sugar
1 1/4 cup wheat flour (I used flour I ground from white wheat in my K-Tech Mill)
4 tsp baking powder
1 tsp salt
3/4 cup chocolate chips


Grease muffin tins and heat oven to 350 F.


In a large cereal bowl, heat milk for one minute in microwave, then add oatmeal. Set aside for approximately 15 minutes. Meanwhile, in a medium-sized bowl, combine egg, applesauce and brown sugar. In a separate bowl, combine flour, baking powder and salt. Set aside a little flour mixture to dredge chocolate chips. Alternately add oatmeal and flour mixture to sugar mixture. Stir until just combined, then gently stir in chocolate chips. Fill muffin tins to the top and bake for 20-25 minutes.


*Note: In retrospect, using 3/4 cup of brown sugar might be unnecessary when using sweetened oatmeal and chocolate chips. Next time, I'll probably decrease brown sugar to 1/2 or 1/4 cup.

No comments:

Post a Comment