Tuesday, July 21, 2009

Chicken Meatballs


These were SO good! We had a few leftover hot dog buns, so I toasted them, piled the meatballs inside, sprinkled a little mozzarella on top and called them meatball subs.



Chicken Meatballs
1/2 bottle of your favorite spaghetti sauce
1/2 lb. ground chicken breast
1 egg
1/3 cup* Italian bread crumbs
1/4 cup mozzarella** cheese
Garlic salt, pepper, and Italian blend seasoning, to taste


In a medium-sized skillet, heat spaghetti sauce over medium heat. Meanwhile, combine ground chicken, egg, bread crumbs, cheese, salt, pepper, and Italian seasoning. Form into meatballs and place into sauce. Cook 3-4 minutes, then turn meatballs over in sauce to coat. Cover, reduce heat, and cook 10-15 minutes. Enjoy in sub rolls or over cooked pasta. This made 11 or 12 good sized meatballs.


*Note: I'm not sure exactly how much of the bread crumbs I used. I discovered as I was mixing the ingredients (I'd put in probably about 1/4 cup) that the mixture was too runny, so I poured in some more, and a little more came out than I meant, but it worked out to be the perfect amount. If your mixture seems to runny, I'd suggest adding more bread crumbs until they come to a better consistency.


**Note: I think it's more traditional to use Parmesan cheese in meatballs, but we rarely have it on hand. Mozzarella adds a nice flavor and seems to keep them very moist.

No comments:

Post a Comment