Tuesday, July 21, 2009

Bean and Cheese Taco Bake





Before I start on my listed menus, I thought I'd get some practice in blogging and food photography by showcasing a few things I've made lately. I know my photography leaves a lot to be desired, especially in comparison to the professional looking photos I've seen in so many blogs. I hope you will not be deterred from trying some of these recipes due to their lackluster photos. There's an old saying about not judging a book by its cover, and I think that is applicable here. Hopefully along the way my skillz will improve and I will eventually get some photos that do justice to the deliciousness of the food!

One more thing: I have been trying the last couple of months to incorporate more vegetarian (or maybe meatless would be a more appropriate term) meals into our family's diet. This recipe was great as written, but I'm sure it would also be great with some seasoned taco meat or chicken, if you should feel moved to do so.

Bean and Cheese Taco Bake
1 Tbs. olive oil
1/2 onion, chopped
1/2 can (10 oz.) red enchilada sauce
1/2 cup mild or medium salsa (or go for hot if you prefer)
1 can (15 oz.) black beans
1/2 bag tortilla chips (or maybe a whole bag)
1 1/2 cup shredded cheddar or Mexican blend cheese

Lightly grease 6 x 10* baking pan and heat oven to 375 F.

In a medium-sized skillet, heat oil and add onion. Cook approximately five minutes, until onion is tender and slightly browned. Stir in enchilada sauce, salsa, and beans and heat through.

Lightly crush a few handfuls of chips and place at bottom of greased baking pan. Pour about half of bean mixture over chips, then cover with about half of the cheese. Layer with more chips and remaining bean mixture and cheese. Bake approximately 10 minutes, until cheese is melted and lightly golden.

*Note: I am guessing on the pan size. It is a small pan, definitely smaller than 9 x 13, that fits perfectly inside our toaster oven, which we keep outside on the porch so we don't have to heat up the kitchen in the already insane summer heat.

This made about four large servings. I had mine on top of a bed of salad, which tasted great.

One more note: the original recipe called for the entire can of enchilada sauce and two cups of salsa. It seemed to me like that would be way too pungeant, not to mention overly liquescient, but if it suits you, go for it!

No comments:

Post a Comment