Saturday, August 1, 2009

My Favorite Soup


Back in the days before I discovered Rachael Ray, there was probably only one thing other than Hamburger Helper that I ever made regularly: this soup. I bought a cookbook from a student doing a fundraiser, and this recipe was in it. I loved that I could make it in one pot, that I always had all the ingredients on hand, and that after some initial chopping and browning of the meat, all I had to do was cover it and wait. To me, it tastes a lot like the Pasta e Fagioli from Olive Garden.

All these years later, it's still one of my favorite things to make, and as with most homemade soups, it tastes even better the next day. It's highly adaptable to your preferences. I have made it with ground turkey breast and chicken broth in place of the beef and beef broth, and it's great. It's even good without meat, as I discovered last week when I forgot to add it. Dinner rolls or thick slices of homemade bread are a lovely accompaniment. I just cant say enough good things about this soup! Enjoy!

My Favorite Soup
1-2 T olive oil
1/2 lb. extra lean ground beef
1/2 onion, chopped
handful of baby carrots, chopped
1-2 stalks celery, chopped
1 can (15 oz) low sodium beef broth
1 can (15 oz) kidney beans
1 can (28-32 oz) diced tomatoes
1/2 cup ditalini or other small pasta
Garlic salt, papper, and/or other seasonings, to taste
Shredded mozzarella or Parmesan cheese, for topping

In a stew pot, heat olive oil over medium heat, add beef, and brown. Add vegetables and cook 5-7 minutes, until tender. Add beef broth, kidney beans, tomatoes, pasta, and seasonings. Stir and cover. Reduce heat to medium-low and cook about 20 minutes, until pasta is tender. Sprinkle with cheese before serving, if desired. Makes approximately 4 servings.

No comments:

Post a Comment